2023 Black & White Portfolio
Contest Entry Info
Submissions accepted from 08/30/22 to 01/15/23
24 Spotlight winners will be featured photographers in issues of
Black & White in 2023 and 2024
20 Excellence winners will have their work featured in four-page
spreads in the August 2023 Portfolio Contest Special Issue.
80 Merit winners will have their work featured in two-page spreads in the August 2023 Portfolio Contest Special Issue
JUDGING: Each judge will act independently and winners will be chosen from merged lists of all judges.
ENTRY BONUS: All portfolios entered will be included in the galleries on our redesigned web site. Each of your photos will have a direct link to your web site. Currently we have over 100,000 photos from past contests in our searchable galleries with increasing traffic counts. This extra exposure makes the entry fees a good investment for your future.
A portfolio unit consists of no less than 8 and no more than 12 images. The images may represent the high point of a long career, a specific subject, or a special thematic treatment. More than one portfolio unit may be entered (additional fee required). Many of the 700 photographers spotlighted in Black & White so far have experienced welcome jolts to their sales as a result of the exposure. So take the chance of having your work seen by more than 40,000 viewers worldwide (Black & White is sold in 60 countries)!
- ELIGIBILITY: All photographers are eligible except employees and contract workers of Ross Periodicals.
- IMAGE CAPTURE: Images may be captured using film or digital.
- PORTFOLIOS: A portfolio unit consists of no fewer than 8 images and no more than 12 images. There is no limitation on the number of portfolio units that may be entered.
PREPARING YOUR IMAGES:
- Save images at 300 ppi/dpi 8 bits, in grayscale, as jpeg files only.
- WIDTH must be 7 inches – Use MEDIUM for Quality option. The image file size will be approximately 1MB.
- Please name each digital image file exactly as shown below:
- Title of image, Location, Year of capture.
The Rose, New York City, NY, 2005or International:
Eiffel Tower, Paris, France, 2008
- Do not use: all capitals, all lower case, underscores, or personal reference numbers in your titles.
- Avoid using the following characters in an image file name or CD/DVD name: \ | / ? : “ * < >
- If more than one image is Untitled, name them Untitled 1, Untitled 2, and so on.
- SUBMITTING IMAGES: ENTRIES CAN NOW BE SUBMITTED THROUGH OUR WEBSITE
- ONLINE: Your entire entry can be completed online with entry fee paid by credit card. After reading through these guidelines, check the box and click the “ENTER” button below.
BY EMAIL: In the body of your email include: Complete name of contest you are entering, artist name, email address, website, physical mailing address, phone, and method of payment. Prepare images per instructions and save in folder using your name as title. There should be no embedded images in the body of the email.
Compress folder using programs such as Stuffit, ZIP, etc. and then attach the compressed file. If using a mac, please email us for special compression instructions.
Do not use transfer programs such as Dropbox, We Transfer, etc. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write your complete name, phone number and email address on the CD/DVD itself.
- Before sending CD/DVDs, using another computer, please double-check that the disks and your image files open properly.
- On a sheet of paper, TYPE your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and website address.
- Mail to: Black & White, PO Box 700, Arroyo Grande, CA 93421 or other carriers: 1789 Lyn Road, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420.
- ENTRY FEES: Fee for the first portfolio unit is US$45. Each additional portfolio unit is US$30. Payment may be made by check (payable to Black & White), money order, PayPal (payable to email@example.com) or credit card (MasterCard, Visa and American Express). Include number, expiration date, CVV code, name exactly as embossed on card, cardholder’s signature and amount to be charged. For international entries we accept ONLY Mastercard, VISA, American Express, PayPal, or international US dollar money orders. We do not accept bank or money transfers. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: CD/DVDs will not be returned (they will be destroyed after review or eventual use). PHOTO RELEASES must be available and furnished upon request for individuals featured in an entered image. We do not need a release for street photography. By entering this contest you give your permission for us to email you. Please forward questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 805.270.3312.
COPYRIGHTS AND THE WEBSITE GALLERY: By entering this contest you give your permission for Black & White to print your images in our magazine and on our website for one-time use. Images entered in this contest will be posted on our website gallery with a link to your website unless you NOTIFY US IN WRITING that you do not want your images placed in the gallery. Please refer to our
website to see the formatting and copyright protection currently being used.
- NOTIFICATION: The selection process will take several months to complete. All entrants will be notified by email. If you wish to have a confirmation of receipt of entry, please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard.