2022 Black & White Single Image
Contest Entry Info
Submissions accepted from 02/01/21 to 06/30/21
SPOTLIGHT AWARDS: A best photograph will be chosen from each category and will be featured in a regular issue of Black & White with a short bio of the photographer and background information on the shot.
CONTEST AWARDS: More than 210 winning images will be chosen in 16 different categories and each will have a full-page display in the Black & White Special Issue. This is your chance to have your images seen by more than 35,000 viewers worldwide.
JUDGING: Each judge will act independently and winners will be chosen from merged lists of all judges.
MORE WINNERS: A panel of lay judges will select their favorite photograph in each category for a special “People’s Choice” award in the Black & White Special Issue.
New and easier way to enter online using your credit card! Follow the instructions below to enter.
1 – Animals
2 – Landscape/Nature
3 – Conceptualization
4 – Nude/Body
5 – Still Life/Objects
6 – Architecture/Interiors
7 – Photojournalism/Documentary
8 – Music/Sports/Dance
9 – Seascape/Water
10 – Flowers/Plants/Fruits
11 – Portraiture/Children
12 – Travel/People/Places
13 – Cityscape/Street
14 – Metaphor/Abstract
15 – Pattern/Texture
- ELIGIBILITY: All photographers are eligible except employees and contract workers of Ross Periodicals.
- CATEGORIES: Do not choose a category. Choice of category for images selected is at the discretion of the judges.
- IMAGE CAPTURE: Images may be captured using film or digital.
PREPARING YOUR IMAGES:
- Save images at 300 ppi/dpi 8 bits, in grayscale, as jpeg files only.
- WIDTH must be 7 inches – Use MEDIUM for Quality option. The image file size will be approximately 1MB or less.
- Please name each digital image file exactly as shown below:
- Title of image, Location, Year of capture.
- Example: The Rose, New York City, NY, 2021 or International: Eiffel Tower, Paris, France, 2021
- Do not use: all capitals, all lower case, underscores, or personal reference numbers in your titles.
- Avoid using the following characters in an image file name: \ | / ? : “ * < >
- If more than one image is Untitled, name them Untitled 1, Untitled 2, and so on.
- SUBMITTING IMAGES: ENTER ON OUR WEBSITE, BY EMAIL, OR BY MAIL
- WEBSITE: Your entire entry can be completed with payment by credit card. See ENTER button at the bottom of this page.
- BY EMAIL: In the body of your email include: Complete name of contest you are entering, artist name, email address, website, physical mailing address, phone, and method of payment. Prepare images per instructions and save in folder. Compress and then attach the compressed file. If using a mac, please email us for special compression instructions. Do not use transfer programs such as Dropbox, We Transfer, etc as they expire too quickly. Send to email@example.com
- Write your complete name, phone number and email address on the CD itself.
- On a sheet of paper, TYPE your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and website address.
- Before sending CDs,, please check that the disks and your image files open properly, using another computer.
- Mail to: Black & White, PO Box 700, Arroyo Grande, CA 93421. For other carriers: 1789 Lyn Road, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420.
- ENTRY FEES: Fee for the first image is US$30. Additional images are US$15 each. There is no limit to the number of images. Payment may be made by check (payable to Black & White), money order, PayPal (pay to firstname.lastname@example.org). Entry fees are non- refundable.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: CDs will not be returned (they will be destroyed after review or eventual use). PHOTO RELEASES must be available and furnished upon request for individuals featured in an entered image. We do not need a release for street photography. Please forward questions to email@example.com or call us at 805.270.3312.
- COPYRIGHTS AND THE WEBSITE GALLERY: By entering this contest you give your permission for Black & White to print your images in our magazine or on our website for one-time use. Images entered in this contest will be posted on our website gallery with a link to your website. Your entry also gives us permission to notify you by email. Please refer to our website to see the formatting and copyright protection currently being used.
- NOTIFICATION: The selection process will take several months to complete. All entrants will be notified by email. If you wish to have a confirmation of receipt of entry, please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard.