2021 Looking Back – Looking Forward
Contest Entry Info
Submissions accepted from 12/01/19 to 10/31/20
Although we have photo contests for the broad categories of single images and portfolios, readers have suggested contests limited to the method of exposure or the time period when a photo was captured. We have come up with a blend of old and new which offer an opportunity to a variety of photographic interests.
Alternative Darkroom Processes
Alternative Digital Processes
Pinhole/Plastic Camera Imagery
The narrow focus of each contest means fewer entries and increases the chance your image will be selected. While the winners won’t be featured in a Special Issue, they will get prominent representation in regular issues of Black & White. Adding more pages to each issue will allow us to dedicate 16-24 pages to display winning photos. Each of the four con- tests will have a dedicated section in one of the four regular issues of Black & White. The added pages of award-winning photography will be an added bonus for our readers.
VINTAGE IMAGES: Since the advent of digital, there has grown an ever-greater interest in and appreciation of fine art photographs made back in the analog- only era. To honor that work, and to help ensure that it doesn’t fade into obscurity, we’ve created this contest for photographs made prior to 1980. Do you have an archive of vintage images waiting to be discovered? Here’s your opportunity to get some valuable exposure for your classic decisive moments.
Entry Specifications: Open to all genres and film formats (35mm, medium, large). Images are limited to those made in 1980 or earlier.
ALTERNATIVE DARKROOM PROCESSES: Although many alternative darkroom processes are over 100 years old, they remain immensely popular among darkroom artists seeking different modes of creative expression. Spend time on any image-sharing site and you’ll find countless examples of these time-tested techniques: wet plate and wet-collodion process, gumoil printing, daguerreotypes, tintypes, carbon prints, platinum-palladium, photograms, chemigrams, liquid photographic emulsion, Mordançage and many more. This contest honors the commitment and vision of photographers will- ing to invest time and energy to produce truly unique and organic analog imagery.
Entry Specifications: Open to all alternative printing processes.
ALTERNATIVE DIGITAL PROCESSES: Digital photographers also have a wide array of tools, techniques and filters available at their disposal to create extraordinary out-of-the-box effects: photo manipulation, multiple imagery, photomontage, pinhole, vintage, double-exposure, diorama illu- sion, tilt-shift, reverse-tones, exposure blending, cross-process, dynamic lighting—not to mention digital tintypes, photograms, gum prints, infrared, and on and on. There are virtually no limitations when it comes to digital experimentation. We welcome your best efforts.
Entry Specifications: Open to all alternative printing processes.
PINHOLE/PLASTIC CAMERA IMAGERY: There’s nothing quite like pinhole and plastic cameras like the Holga, Diana and Lomo. The unique visual qualities of these cameras open up a whole new level of creative possibilities for the adventurous photographer. Submit your best pinhole/plastic camera photo and share your vision with the world.
Entry Specifications: Open to black-and-white images made with any type of plastic or pinhole camera.
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST LIST THE CONTEST FROM THE 4 CHOICES AND WHAT IMAGES YOU WISH TO SUBMIT TO IT!
PREPARING YOUR IMAGES:
- Save images at 300 ppi (lower resolution files cannot be used), 8 bits, in grayscale, as jpeg files only.
- WIDTH must be 7 inches – Width is measured from left to right and will total 2100 pixels. Enter 7” in WIDTH option when resizing and allow LENGTH to proportion itself naturally (pixel count will adjust accordingly) Use MEDIUM for Quality option. If prepared correctly the image file size will be approximately 1MB.
- Please name each digital image file exactly as shown below:
Title of image, Location, Year of capture.
Example: The Rose, New York City, NY, 2005 or International: Eiffel Tower, Paris, France, 2008
- Do not use: all capitals, all lower case, underscores, or personal reference numbers in your titles.
- Avoid using the following characters in an image file name or CD/DVD name: \ | / ? : “ * < >
- If more than one image is Untitled, name them Untitled 1, Untitled 2, and so on.
- Do not use Picasa, iPhoto or similar file-sharing programs to burn your CD/DVDs.
- SUBMITTING IMAGES: ENTRIES CAN NOW BE SENT THROUGH EMAIL
- In the body of your email include: Complete name of contest you are entering (there are currently two), artist name, email address, website, physical mailing address, phone, and method of payment.
- Prepare images per instructions and save in folder using your name as title.
- Compress folder using programs such as Stuffit, ZIP, etc. and then attach the compressed file.
- Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write your complete name, phone number and email address on the CD/DVD itself.
- Before sending CD/DVDs, using another computer, please double-check that the disks and your image files open properly.
- On a sheet of paper, type your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and website address.
- DO NOT include an artist statement or curriculum vitae—entries are judged solely on the merits of the images.
- DO NOT include an image list separate from what is on the CD/DVD.
- Mail to: Black & White, PO Box 700, Arroyo Grande, CA 93421 or other carriers: 1789 Lyn Road, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420.
- IMPORTANT: YOU MUST LIST THE CONTEST FROM THE 4 CHOICES AND WHAT IMAGES YOU WISH TO SUBMIT TO IT
- ENTRY FEES: The entry fee of $30 includes submission of two photos. Additional images can be submitted for $10 each. There is no limit to the number of images that can be submitted. Payment may be made by check (payable to Black & White), money order, PayPal (pay to email@example.com) or credit card (MasterCard, Visa or American Express). Include number, expiration date, 3-digit security code on back of card, name exactly as embossed on card, cardholder’s signature and amount to be charged. ONLY Mastercard, Visa, American Express, PayPal, or International US Dollar Money Orders are accepted for international entries. We do not accept bank or money transfers. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: All CDs/DVDs will be destroyed after judging is completed. Winners will be advised of the cover date and publication date of the issue which will include their photos. PHOTO RELEASES must be available and furnished upon request for all individuals prominently featured in an entered image. This rule is not generally applicable to street photography. Do not include any releases with your entry. Please forward questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 805.270.3312.
- COPYRIGHTS AND THE WEBSITE GALLERY: By entering this contest you give your permission for Black & White to print your images in our magazine or on our website for one-time use. Images entered in this contest will be posted on our website gallery with a link to your website unless you NOTIFY US IN WRITING that you do not want your images placed in the gallery.
- NOTIFICATION: Judging will be completed by January 31, 2021 and you will receive an email communication of the results. If you wish to have a confirmation of receipt of entry, please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard.