2015 Black & White Single Image Contest Entry Info
Submissions accepted from 03/01/14 to 06/30/14
New Spotlight Awards: A best photograph will be chosen from each category and will be featured in a regular issue of Black & White with a short bio of the photographer and background information on the shot.
Contest Awards: More than 210 winning images will be chosen in 15 different categories and each will have a full-page display in the Black & White Special Issue. This is your chance to have your images seen by more than 35,000 viewers worldwide.
New Judging: We have expanded our panel of judges. Each judge will act independently and winners will be chosen from merged lists of all judges.
More Winners: A panel of lay judges will select their favorite photograph in each category for a special “People’s Choice” award in the Black & White Special Issue.
1 – Animals
2 – Landscape/Nature
3 – Conceptualization
4 – Nude/Body
5 – Still Life/Objects
6 – Architecture/Interiors
7 – Photojournalism/Documentary
8 – Music/Sports/Dance
9 – Seascape/Water
10 – Flowers/Plants/Fruits
11 – Portraiture/Children
12 – Travel/People/Places
13 – Cityscape/Street
14 – Metaphor/Abstract
15 – Pattern/Texture
- ELIGIBILITY: All photographers are eligible except employees and contract workers of Ross Periodicals.
- CATEGORIES: Do not choose a category. Choice of category for images selected is at the discretion of the judges.
- IMAGE CAPTURE: Images may be captured using film or digital. Only CD/DVDs will be accepted for entry. No prints or slides!
- PREPARING YOUR CD/DVD:
- Write your complete name, phone number and email address on the CD/DVD itself.
- Save images at 300 ppi (lower resolution files cannot be used), 8 bits, in grayscale (No RGB), as jpeg files.
- WIDTH must be 7 inches – Width is measured from left to right and will total 2100 pixels. Enter 7” in WIDTH option when resizing and allow LENGTH to proportion itself naturally (pixel count will adjust accordingly). Use MEDIUM for Quality option. If prepared correctly the image file size will be approximately 1MB.
- Naming Images.
- Name each digital image as follows:
- Title of image, Location, Year of capture.
- Example: Boardwalk, Santa Monica, CA, 2009 or International: Eiffel Tower, Paris, France, 2008
- Do not use: all capitals, all lower case, underscores, or personal reference numbers in your titles.
- Avoid using the following characters in an image file name or CD/DVD name: \ | / ? : “ * < >
- If more than one image is Untitled, name them Untitled 1, Untitled 2, and so on.
- Do not use Picasa, iPhoto or similar file-sharing programs to burn your CD/DVDs.
- Before sending CD/DVDs, please double-check using another computer that the CD/DVD and your image files open properly.
- ENTRY FEES: Fee for the first image is US$30. Additional images are US$15 each. There is no limit to the number of images that may be entered. Payment may be made by check (payable to Black & White), money order, PayPal (pay to firstname.lastname@example.org) or credit card (MasterCard, Visa or American Express). Include number, expiration date, 3-digit security code on back of card, name exactly as embossed on card, cardholder’s signature and amount to be charged. ONLY Mastercard, Visa, American Express, PayPal, or International US Dollar Money Orders are accepted for international entries. We do not accept bank or money transfers. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: CDs will not be returned (they will be destroyed after review or eventual use). Photo releases must be available and furnished upon request for all individuals prominently featured in an entered image. This rule is not generally applicable to street photography. Do not include any releases with your entry. Please forward questions to email@example.com or call us at 805.270.3312.
- COPYRIGHTS AND THE WEBSITE GALLERY: By entering this contest you give your permission for Black & White to print your images in our magazine or on our website for one-time use. Images entered in this contest will be posted on our website gallery with a link to your website unless you notify us in writing that you do not want your images placed in the gallery. Please refer to our website to see the formatting and copyright protection currently being used.
- DEADLINE: Entries must be postmarked no later than June 30, 2014.
- NOTIFICATION: The selection process will take several months to complete. All entrants will be notified by email. If you wish to have a confirmation of receipt of entry, please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
- WHERE TO SEND: Mail: Black & White, PO Box 700, Arroyo Grande, CA 93421.
Other carriers: 1789 Lyn Road, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420.
WHAT TO SEND
- On a sheet of paper, TYPE your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and website address (this will be published
if your images are selected and also on the web gallery). DO NOT include an artist statement or curriculum vitae—entries are judged solely on the merits of the images. DO NOT include an image list separate from what is on the CD/DVD.
- Your CD/DVD—see above.
- Payment—see above.