2013 Black & White Portfolio Entry Info
Submissions accepted from 10/01/12 to 12/31/12
28 Spotlight winners will be featured photographers in issues of Black & White in 2013 and 2014
20 Excellence winners will have their work featured in four-page spreads in the August 2013 Portfolio Contest Special Issue.
80 Merit winners will have their work featured in two-page spreads in the August 2013 Portfolio Contest Special Issue
NEW JUDGING: We have expanded our panel of judges. Each judge will act independently and winners will be chosen from merged lists of all judges.
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS: We have selected 200+ photographs from earlier Single Image and Portfolio Contest entries that were not previously selected for an award and are including them in a special issue designed for newsstand distribution. Our initial issue for this market will include photographs from the Portraiture/Children and Animal categories. It is an additional opportunity to have your work shown. If this venture is successful, we will publish additional issues with selections from other categories.
ENTRY BONUS: All portfolios entered will be included in the galleries on our redesigned web site. Each of your photos will have a direct link to your web site. Currently we have more than 25,000 photos from past contests in our searchable galleries with increasing traffic counts. This extra exposure makes the entry fees a good investment for your future.
A portfolio unit consists of no less than 8 and no more than 12 images. The images may represent the high point of a long career, a specific subject, or a special thematic treatment. More than one portfolio unit may be entered (additional fee required). Many of the 700 photographers spotlighted in Black & White so far have experienced welcome jolts to their sales as a result of the exposure. So take the chance of having your work seen by more than 40,000 viewers worldwide (Black & White is sold in 60 countries)!
- ELIGIBILITY: All photographers are eligible except employees and contract workers of Ross Periodicals.
- IMAGE CAPTURE: Images may be captured using film or digital. Only CD/DVDs will be accepted for entry. No prints or slides!
- PORTFOLIOS: A portfolio unit consists of no fewer than 8 images and no more than 12 images. There is no limitation on the number of portfolio units that may be entered. Make separate folders for each portfolio, but please use as few CD/DVDs as possible for your entry.
PREPARING YOUR CD/DVD:
- Write your complete name, phone number and email address on the CD/DVD itself.
- Save images at 300 ppi (lower resolution files cannot be used), 8 bits, in grayscale, as jpeg files only.
- The size of the scans, whether vertical or horizontal in orientation, MUST be 7 inches wide.
- Please name each digital image file on your CD/DVD exactly as shown below:
- Title of image, Location, Year of capture.
- Example: The Rose, New York City, NY, 2005 or International: Eiffel Tower, Paris, France, 2008
- Do not use: all capitals, all lower case, underscores, or personal reference numbers in your titles.
- Avoid using the following characters in an image file name or CD/DVD name: \ | / ? : “ * < >
- If more than one image is Untitled, name them Untitled 1, Untitled 2, and so on.
- Do not use Picasa, iPhoto or similar file-sharing programs to burn your CD/DVDs.
- Before sending CD/DVDs, please double-check that the disks and your image files open properly.
- ENTRY FEES: Fee for the first portfolio unit is US$45. Each additional portfolio unit is US$30. Payment may be made by check (payable to Black & White), money order, PayPal (payable to email@example.com) or credit card (MasterCard, Visa and American Express). Include number, expiration date, 3-digit security code on back of card, name exactly as embossed on card, cardholder’s signature and amount to be charged. For international entries we accept ONLY Mastercard, VISA, American Express, PayPal, or international US dollar money orders. We do not accept bank or money transfers. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Prints and slides WILL NOT be accepted. CD/DVDs will not be returned (they will be destroyed after review or eventual use). PHOTO RELEASES must be available and furnished upon request for all individuals prominently featured in an entered image. This rule is not generally applicable to street photography. Do not include any releases with your entry. Please forward questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 805.270.3312.
- COPYRIGHTS AND THE WEBSITE GALLERY: By entering this contest you give your permission for Black & White to print your images in our magazine and on our website for one-time use. Images entered in this contest will be posted on our website gallery with a link to your website unless you NOTIFY US IN WRITING that you do not want your images placed in the gallery. Please refer to our website to see the formatting and copyright protection currently being used.
- DEADLINE: Entries must be postmarked no later than December 31, 2012.
- NOTIFICATION: The selection process will take several months to complete. All entrants will be notified by email. If you wish to have a confirmation of receipt of entry, please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
WHERE TO SEND: Mail: Black & White, PO Box 700, Arroyo Grande, CA 93421.
Other carriers: 1789 Lyn Road, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420.
WHAT TO SEND
- On a sheet of paper, TYPE your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and website address (this will be published
if your images are selected and also on the web gallery). DO NOT include an artist statement or curriculum vitae—entries are judged solely on the merits of the images. DO NOT include an image list separate from what is on the CD/DVD.
- Your CD/DVD—see above.
- Payment—see above.