Four Black & White Photo Contests Entry Info
Submissions accepted from 12/01/16 to 10/31/17
Looking Back – Looking Forward
Although we have photo contests for the broad categories of single images and portfolios, readers have suggested contests limited to the method of exposure or the time period when a photo was captured. We have come up with a blend of old and new which offer an opportunity to a variety of photographic interests.
Alternative Printing Processes
The narrow focus of each contest means fewer entries and increases the chance your image will be selected. While the winners won’t be featured in a Special Issue, they will get prominent representation in regular issues of Black & White. Adding more pages to each issue will allow us to dedicate 16-24 pages to display winning photos. Each of the four contests will have a dedicated section in one of the four regular issues of Black & White. The added pages of award-winning photography will be an added bonus for our readers.
Vintage Images: Since the advent of digital, there has grown an ever-greater interest in and appreciation of fine art photographs made back in the analog-only era. To honor that work, and to help ensure that it doesn’t fade into obscurity, we’ve created this contest for photographs made prior to 1980. Do you have an archive of vintage images waiting to be discovered? Here’s your opportunity to get some valuable exposure for your classic decisive moments.
Entry Specifications: Open to all genres and film formats (35mm, medium, large). Images are limited to those made in 1980 or earlier.
Smartphone Photography: The smartphone has revolutionized the nature and potential of photographic capture and has opened up expressive possibilities to billions of people the world over. But since quantity does not necessarily equate to quality, we’ve created this contest to help stimulate your smartphone photo creativity. With more megapixels and a growing array of apps, filters and features, today’s smartphone camera is quickly becoming a serious fine art tool. Show us what you can do with your smartphone camera.
Entry Specifications: Open to black-and-white smartphone and tablet images, original monochrome capture or converted from color.
Alternative Printing Processes: Despite having been pioneered decades ago, alternative printing processes — the photogram (ca. early 1800s), daguerreotype (introduced in 1839), tintype (1853), collodion (ca. 1850), Mordançage (ca. 1960s) and others — are still widely practiced. In fact, there are now more daguerreotypists than at any time since the late 1850s. The 21st century has witnessed increased popularity among these and other organic printing methods, as photographers worldwide gravitate to the unique, unpredictable and fascinating print characteristics achievable through these time-honored techniques. Our contest provides the perfect opportunity to show off your darkroom skill and creative vision.
Entry Specifications: Open to all alternative printing processes.
Pinhole/Plastic Camera Imagery: When it comes to analog photography, there’s nothing quite as much fun as going lo-fi with pinhole cameras and plastic cameras like the Holga, Diana and Lomo. The supposed “defects” of these cameras — light leaks, soft focus, vignetting, diffraction — open up a whole new level of creative possibilities for the adventurous photographer. Submit your best pinhole/plastic camera photo and share your vision with the world.
Entry Specifications: Open to black-and-white images made with any type of plastic or pinhole camera.
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST LIST THE CONTEST FROM THE 4 CHOICES AND WHAT IMAGES YOU WISH TO SUBMIT TO IT!
- ELIGIBILITY: All photographers are eligible except employees and contract workers of Ross Periodicals.
PREPARING YOUR IMAGES:
- Save images at 300 ppi (lower resolution files cannot be used), 8 bits, in grayscale (No RGB), as jpeg files.
- WIDTH must be 7 inches – Width is measured from left to right and will total 2100 pixels. Enter 7” in WIDTH option when resizing and allow LENGTH to proportion itself naturally (pixel count will adjust accordingly). Use MEDIUM for Quality option. If prepared correctly the image file size will be approximately 1MB.
- Naming Images.
- Name each digital image as follows:
- Title of image, Location, Year of capture.
- Example: Boardwalk, Santa Monica, CA, 2009 or International: Eiffel Tower, Paris, France, 2008
- Do not use: all capitals, all lower case, underscores, or personal reference numbers in your titles.
- Avoid using the following characters in an image file name or CD/DVD name: \\ | / ? : “ * < >
- If more than one image is Untitled, name them Untitled 1, Untitled 2, and so on.
- Do not use Picasa, iPhoto or similar file-sharing programs to burn your CD/DVDs.
- SUBMITTING IMAGES: ENTRIES CAN NOW BE SENT THROUGH EMAIL
BY EMAIL: In the body of your email include: Complete name of contest you are entering (there are currently two), artist name, email address, website, physical mailing address, phone, and method of payment (see options below).DO NOT use file sharing programs such as Dropbox, etc
- Prepare images per instructions and save in folder using your name as title.
- Compress folder using programs such as Stuffit, ZIP, etc. and then attach the compressed file.
- Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
BY CD/DVD: Write your complete name, phone number and email address on the CD/DVD itself.
- Before sending CD/DVDs, using another computer, please double-check that the disks and your image files open properly.
- On a sheet of paper, type your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and website address.
- Do not include an artist statement or curriculum vitae—entries are judged solely on the merits of the images.
- Do not include an image list separate from what is on the CD/DVD.
- Mail to: Black & White, PO Box 700, Arroyo Grande, CA 93421 or other carriers: 1789 Lyn Road, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420.
- ENTRY FEES: The entry fee of $30 includes submission of two photos. Additional images can be submitted for $10 each. There is no limit to the number of images that can be submitted. Payment may be made by check (payable to Black & White), money order, PayPal (pay to email@example.com) or credit card (MasterCard, Visa or American Express). Include number, expiration date, 3-digit security code on back of card, name exactly as embossed on card, cardholder’s signature and amount to be charged. ONLY Mastercard, Visa, American Express, PayPal, or International US Dollar Money Orders are accepted for international entries. We do not accept bank or money transfers. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: CDs will not be returned (they will be destroyed after review or eventual use). Photo releases must be available and furnished upon request for all individuals prominently featured in an entered image. This rule is not generally applicable to street photography. Do not include any releases with your entry. Please forward questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 805.270.3312.
- COPYRIGHTS AND THE WEBSITE GALLERY: By entering this contest you give your permission for Black & White to print your images in our magazine or on our website for one-time use. Images entered in this contest will be posted on our website gallery with a link to your website unless you notify us in writing that you do not want your images placed in the gallery. Please refer to our website to see the formatting and copyright protection currently being used.
- DEADLINE: Entries must be postmarked no later than October 31, 2017.
- NOTIFICATION: Judging will be completed by December 31 and you will receive an email communication of the results. If you wish to have a confirmation of receipt of entry, please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
- IMPORTANT! YOU MUST LIST THE CONTEST FROM THE 4 CHOICES AND WHAT IMAGES YOU WISH TO SUBMIT TO IT!